oh oh – october / november 2015

Oh Oh…well I said that and a few other words when it was noticed there was a seal issue on my camper. When we attended the Fall Festival in Sandpoint Idaho on Labor Day weekend a seal issue on the front of the cab over was noticed. There was a gap that appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Once I got home I took pictures and then I applied some tape over the gap to prevent any more water from getting in.

the seal is at the bottom of the cab over

the seal is at the bottom of the cab over

the sea; and filon was seperating

the seal and filon was separating

tape covering the gap

tape covering the gap

I called to see what exactly my extended warranty covers and found out that it is not covered for structural. I then called the factory in Yakima and after some picture and thought exchange, Adventurer said to bring it to the factory and they will look at it. So that is what we did after the Fall Colors Rally in October. Adventurer was very helpful and accommodating on our situation. We left both the camper and truck and returned home. After a week or so Adventurer had contacted us showing what had happened. Our stomach hurt with the sick feeling when we saw the pictures. The issue was worse than we thought. It clearly shows that water had leaked from both front marker lights, then the water trickled down to the seal that we saw an issue. I had to look at the pictures several times because I could not believe what I was seeing. I inspect the seals around the marker lights and other seals on the cab over very well. When I wash the camper I use scaffolding so I am right there to clean bugs and dirt off. It lets me inspect closely too. Well, even though the seals appeared to be okay….they were not.

front wrap off of the camper

front wrap off of the camper

oh no

oh no

clearly from the marker lights

clearly from the marker lights

it damaged the floor in the camper too

it damaged the floor in the camper too

i wanted to cry

I wanted to cry

After getting a quote for repairs we were not sure what to do. We simply could not afford the cost at this time. The repairs would be just under $2000.00 and that is after repairs that the factory was helping us out with. In total, somewhere near $3000.00 in repairs. I was not sure what to do, Joanne then said I should call our insurance and see if it would be covered or not. After several exchanges of pictures and phone calls, the insurance called us yesterday, 11/12/15. They said “yes”, it will be covered under our insurance. We will have to pay our $500.00 deductible. We were so grateful that it is going to be covered.

So our camper is back in line to be repaired. A new cab over floor and front wrap will be installed. I hope to have our camper back by middle of December.

Now I have thoughts on what to do with extra sealing around the marker lights when I get the camper back. I am thinking I will put a bit of Eternabond  tape over the seal, as an extra guard from water.

What did I learn from this? Do not trust the seals on how they look I guess. All I know is… I will do my damnedest that it does not happen again.

The next blog report will be when we pick up the camper all fixed. I want to thank Adventurer for helping us and being very accommodating while we went through the insurance process.

oh oh – october / november 2015

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s